Sunday, September 14, 2008

Missed Calls

Tonight I as I was digging in my purse I discovered something that made my heart skip a beat: I had left my cell phone at home. After the initial and terrifying discovery, I reminded myself that it probably healthy for me to be without my phone every once and a while. After all, I had spent the previous three hours without it, I could leave it a couple hours more. If anyone called or texted I would be able to see that when I got home and respond then.

When I walked into my apartment, there was my phone sitting on the coffee table. In an effort to detach myself further from the Compulsive Cell Phone Disorder, I refrained from checking it immediately. A minute or so later I heard the satisfactory beep altering me to two missed calls. Both were from the number Unavailable which I knew immediately was my mom. She is the only person I cannot call back since it is actually a Skype number. I won so much ground in my fight against cell phone addiction and I actually missed the call I needed to answer right away and on a rare occasion when I could have talked to her. Sad.

This story does have a happy ending though! I emailed my mom right away to tell her what happened and a few minutes later I received a call from Unavailable. She has the day off today (tomorrow?) for the Midautumn Festival and was able to call later in her day and talk for a while. How long? 40mins 54 secs. When does that ever happen? I am the luckiest girl in the world.

5 comments:

Genesisblade said...

Aww I feel for you! Cell phones rule people's lives, so it's nice to get away. Just as soon as you decide to though, it bites you in the butt. I'm glad you got to talk to your mom - so it's all good!

K. Leatherwood said...

It makes me want to cry when I see I've missed a call from Unavailable. I have on one occasion left a church service to talk to Mom when my phone vibrated.

Glad you got to talk. Did she read you Min's email?

K. Leatherwood said...

And by the way...you've been tagged.

Snow said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to talk! Isn't it great when you get to talk to Mom for a long time like that?! I only had a few minutes - she called while I was trying to get the boys in bed. Bummer.