As early as August, friends were asking if I was going to do the same thing this year. I gave a hopeful response and was fortunate enough to be able to make (and eat!) a trial batch as I provided the pumpkin bread for Thanksgiving. There were pale spots in my bread and my sister told me that my baking soda was out of date. I suspected that it was simply the fact that the pumpkin had not blended in fully since I knew I was having trouble with the mixing.
During the Christmas (finals) baking season, finding time was quite difficult to negotiate, but I managed to pull together a thorough and rather smooth crop. I had an often interesting time trying to make deliveries, and missed a couple of people which gave me a chance to have a appropriately meal-like snack for the long plane ride (on an airplane that naturally served very edible food). Ah, success.
Then...
I arrived at my Mom's and found that she was making pumpkin bread for the staff at her office. We agreed that it was a wonderful, simple gift idea for large masses of people and I watched as she gathered her supplies together including...a mixer. A MIXER? Who knew that you could use a mixer? All of my embarassment and woes and right-arm-muscle-soreness could have been prevented by a simple technique. A mixer. Anyway, the one inherant and unavoidable problem with pumpkin bread is the 50 mins that it takes to bake, so Mom could not finish all of her batches at a time. I offered to finish the last batch so that they would all be ready on the same day. I was pumped to start another round of baking armed with my new knowledge. Here's the result:
Terrible!
Worse than any of the others!
Mom said it tasted good though.
4 comments:
I am sorry, but that is sooooo funny!!!! I have had so many times that I "had" to eat my mistakes!
I mix by hand though because my mixer produces some very pretty sparks at times.... So, yes, I get those white spots from time to time.
As long as it tastes good....
Use a mixer?! Who would do that?! Crazy!
Oh, and it's not the baking soda that's old, it's the baking powder (there is a difference!).
thanks, sheridan, for the sympathy -- i appreciate it. and yes, rachelizabeth, i know there's a difference, i just forgot which one you said.
Ummm! Good!
Post a Comment