Success!
Earlier start the day than maybe I wanted, but I had slept well so I got over it pretty quickly. It was cold and rainy, so we opted to take the shuttle to the convention center which allowed us plenty of time to purchase an extremely overpriced (but super delicious) breakfast. Not a bad way to begin a day.
Session One: Managing Your Boss. When I met up with my college SM mentor later in the day I joked that the session came four years too late. I actually had flashbacks to our relationship throughout the session and felt validated in how I handled the important matters, but I could see places where I things might have gone smoother if I had known. The session was taught by a production manager and his assistant -- they had a good relationship with each other which was interesting to watch and validated the whole session.
Stage Expo: I've decided I'm not very good at the expo style of approaching people. Granted, most of the booths are about lighting instruments or stage floors or automation rigs, things I have no interest in, resources or need to buy, or reason to deal with. Still, I spend most of my time wandering aimlessly and not interacting which isn't exactly productive. I was however surprised to find a sound company that gives seminars and webinars in many aspects of sound design which I am thoroughly looking forward to taking advantage of since they seem to be right up my alley.
Session Two: Conflict. Pretty basic stuff mostly revolving around Be Reasonable, but it's still good to hear experienced people discuss this issue concisely and with a theatrical and specifically managerial viewpoint. The panel again consisted of skilled and dynamic speakers that made the session easy to asorb. Also, they gave us the name of a book to look into -- very helpful.
Session Three: Resumes. Again, fairly straightforward, but still good things to hear. For example, they said you must always send your resume in PDF format over email. Well, duh. But for some reason I had never thought to do so; therefore, I am grateful that it was said. Small things, but they add up and are good to hear again. At the end of that session, there was a chance to meet with a production manager one-on-one to get personal feedback. This is why I went since I have gotten feedback from the same people over and over I felt it was time to discuss my resume with a stranger. The man I talked to really liked my format which was encouraging and was able to give me some advice on content. I still want to get some more opinions, but I am pleased with how the session went.
The last sessions of the day were very uninteresting to us, so we were planning to aimlessly wander around the expo. Since Lisa and I had gotten separated I went down on my own, not sure what I was going to do. By a stroke of luck, I caught both Lisa and our former lighting design professor in the same general area and only a few minutes later our former SM professor happen to come our way. We all agreed that the rest of the day had no value for us and went out on what turned into a quest for dinner.
The first place we went was closed because someone had knocked into a fire sprinkler head which of course caused all the others to go off. We went to a second place arbitrarily and found it was pretty mainstream food so decided to get appetizers then eat somewhere else. An old friend of our SM prof joined up with us and we decided it would be safe to go back to the first place, but the problems were bigger than we thought and while it was open, the kitchen was not operating. We ordered drinks to pass the time and finally realized we weren't going to get any food. So, it was onto a third and final restaurant for the meal. So, it was a bit of an adventure getting our food, but it was an absolute blast to catch up.
Overall, a very awesome day with very awesome companions.
No comments:
Post a Comment