Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Apron Day 2: Root Beer-less

Day 1 was cut short when I discovered I had cut my apron too short, but no big deal, I can just buy more of the same fabric.  I went to Jo-Ann's on a Sunday, which is apparently when the people who actually enjoy sewing shop.  This turns into a most frightening experience as I crawl through exuberant crafters in a frantic search for my fabric.  But it's gone.  In the two weeks between buying my fabric to botching the project, that pattern has become extremely popular and evaporated.  Jo-Ann stores are less common than I expected, so I wait for a chance to get to Katy  (45mins away) and wonder of wonders, there is just enough of my fabric left for the apron.  Whew!

With this fabric, I can do anything!

A few weeks later I make it back to my sister's, but after work, so it's a later start.  It's nervous-making, knowing that this is the last of the fabric, but at least I'm confident of my measurements this time.  A few slices later my apron is apron-shaped.  Success!

Turns out it's quite difficult to take this kind of picture

I'm a master cutter by this point, but now I have to face a bigger fear: sewing.  First the pocket:

A pocket in its natural state

Then the hem, which thanks to my sister's nifty tool it's not too hard to fold, "press", and stitch.  There are a few oddities in my sewing -- the seam on the pocket is further from the edge than I intended and one of the hems is a bit wavy -- but I call it character and press on.  This kind of sewing is rhythmic, in a way, and fairly easy to follow.

Here I am!  Sewing!

With the hems complete, it's time to make the straps.  By now it's after 10:00 and I'm operating without root beer, so when my sister and I try to use math to determine the hem, I'm completely lost.  I choose a fraction at random and begin the measuring/pressing routine.  A long seam later, I have one strap and zero energy.  Time to call it a night before I destroy something!  Not finished yet, but a good, productive day :)

All in a day's work



1 comment:

Mom said...

Dramatic works for this too! Hope you enjoy wearing this apron for MANY years to come!