Saturday, January 3, 2009

Photo Hunter: Hope

This week's theme feels so appropriate for a new year! This past semester was extremely discouraging for several different reasons and even on New Year's Eve our attempt at celebrating turned out to be disappointing. Mom and I tried to see the fireworks display at the Hong Kong Harbor, but the streets were packed several blocks away so all we could see were a few puny fireworks from the top of one building. All in all a bit of a letdown.

My friend, Meg, asked how the new year was since it was still 2008 in her time zone and I told her about the disappointing celebration, along with the good things -- a long sleep and a finished book. I got her email back saying, "I hope the rest of your 2009 is a lot grander than your first few moments of 2009..." As I was moving on to the PhotoHunter reminder email I was thinking in response to Meg, "I'm hopeful" and found the word "hope" as the theme. Coincidence? I think not.

Now, the picture...there is no greater hope than the hope of salvation and abundant life which can only be found in a relationship with Jesus Christ. This is my friend, Alyssa (bright green swimsuit), right before she was baptized while we were in Thailand.

I never put much stock in the change of year because while it is advertised as "new" nothing actually changes any easier than it does any other time of the year. Still, it is a natural stopping point so may 2009 be a year of hope.

No comments: