Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Scare

Yesterday morning I was awoken at 8:15 am (alarm set for 8:30) by a pounding on my bedroom door. My roommate came in saying, "I need your help. Jasper's table fell over, the cage fell open, and he's not in it." Well. There's one way to get me out of bed. We spent the next several minutes crawling on our knees, shining flashlights between the wall and major appliances, and opening every type of door in our house. No luck.

Our next door neighbor is in theatre with me, so I found her in the hallway and warned her not to panic if they found a black and white mouse in their apartment. She told me about the cat she just got and his tendency to beat things to death (although he didn't eat them). The whole day I worried about that little mouse.

I came home around midnight and instinctively looked at the cage that we had left open with food and water in case he returned. What happiness to find that the cage was closed! Jasper had been apparently been found. Christina shuffled out of bed and told me that she had found him in her bed. He was quite eager to return to a safe environment and all is well. I think it was a rather traumatic day for all three of us, so I am thankful that it only lasted a day. Jasper's cage is currently residing on solid ground.

No comments: