Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day

You know those times in life where you just have to do something simply because it's available?  Yesterday, when I finished rehearsal at 6:00 instead of 10:00, it was clear that I needed to go to the fireworks display in Manhattan.  I called up a college friend (Shelly) who is summering in NYC and (as I hoped and suspected) she was meeting a group of people on the roof of an apartment building to watch the show.  I took my first American train ride, Shelly met me at the station, and we got there in perfect time to savor some watermelon and enjoy the fireworks.  As it turned out, we only saw about half the show, specifically the top half, since there were several taller buildings in front of us, but we didn't mind -- it was a beautiful night and we beat the crowds being further out.

It was a simple trip, but great to catch up with Shelly and get away from campus for a bit.  I hope yesterday was a holiday for everyone!

 

1 comment:

Snow said...

Pretty! Glad you got to celebrate Independence Day! :)